Saturday 3 April 2010

It's Official.

So the nomination papers are in and I am now an official independent candidate in the forthcoming local elections to be held on Thursday 6th May.  I now have to start my campaign plan in the hope of getting elected. My tag line of "Spring Clean the Council" is already being well received by those I have been chatting to.

My first day of talking to people in my ward has already proved fruitful with lots people assuring me of their vote. I was quite surprised how many people are either not on the electoral role or who are on the electoral role but can't be bothered to vote as they think it is a waste of time. One of my neighbours hit the nail on the head when I called on his door, as soon as I mentioned the words "I am standing for council" he replied with "Don't tell me which party you are standing for as they are all as bad as each other", when I explained that I was standing as an independent as I shared his lack of confidence in the major parties his attitude changed completely, and he even forgave me for interrupting his football programme.

One comment that keeps coming up is "Well, you can't do a worse job", it wasn't quite the tag line I was looking for but does kind of sum up people's attitudes.

Of course many of the people I have spoken to have raised the classic issues of parking and bins and I have already been taking these comments on board in the hope that if elected I may be able to bring about positive change and some common sense ideas something which seems to be lacking in our current council. The other main issues seem to be over-development within the area and a lack of trust in the council's planning department.

What I have found is that there is an amazing sense of community within Greenbank and a really diverse mix of people in the area and some room for improvement in encouraging integration of these groups. I am already involved with plans for several local social events including a Mad Hatters tea party in Moor View Park and a procession linked to Lord Mayor's Day. I am attending a meeting in the next week to finalise some of the details so will let you know all about these exciting events that will be open to all.

My work over the next few weeks also includes plans to liaise with neighbourhood policing to provide some more activities for young females within the area; after meeting 2 vulnerable young 15 year old's on Thursday night I was reminded of the importance of providing youngsters with opportunities for them to develop their social skills and to learn how to respect each other. The 2 ladies I spoke to on Thursday night explained that they spent most of their time hanging around on the streets and they get drunk most nights, they do not have a stable family to look after them and without intervention and support their future looks bleak.

Lastly a quick update on the Mutley Plain closures; I attended a Mutley Traders meeting to discuss the road closures with both traders and council representatives. Councillor Richard Ball, councillor for the ward of Compton, spoke well and tried to reassure those present that the council were working hard to minimise disruption and to look at getting compensation from Wales and West utilities although we all agreed that compensation is unlikely. I, personally, have not had my business diversely affected by the gas works as I do not rely on passing trade. If anything I have benefited from the increased traffic through Seaton Lane, where my business is situated. I have also noticed an increase in street cleansing as a result of the road works and an increase of the number of patrolling police officers and traffic wardens, this has lead to a cleaner, safer environment and Vanessa Collins, chair of the Mutley Traders group, asked if this good practice could continue after Mutley re-opens.

Although I have not suffered personally I know that many small business have noticed a severe decline in trade and I think the main issue now is getting trade back to Mutley and finding ways of encouraging people to use Mutley more often. I asked the council if we could look at having a weeks free parking to coincide with the re-opening of the Plain and was told that it would be looked into. I also asked for some positive press coverage to let people know when Mutley Plain is back open and was assured by Councillor Ball that this was something he would take on board. We will watch to see how the re-opening goes and if trade recovers quickly.

More news soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment